Route: Marca Storica

Il Castello di Castelcies

 
Resti del castello dopo lo scavo e l'intervento di consolidamento. Panoramica da sud ovest
 
 
Resti del castello dopo lo scavo e l'intervento di consolidamento. Panoramica da nord est
 
 
la facciata della cappella di San Martino
 
According to a late tradition, the small fortress was constructed in the 11th century by Gherardo Maltraversi that also possessed, by imperial authorization, the Fonte and Pagnano castles. In 1153-1154, during the period that saw conflicts between Treviso and the town of Conegliano, when the castle was partly in the hands of Maltraversi (pro-Conegliano) and partly owned by Sofia di Colfosco, the fortress was first occupied by Ansedisio Guidotti, head of the Treviso army. Later the Count of Treviso Manfredo da Collalto, in suspect of Ansedisio's aims , subtracted the fortress from Ansedisio's hand. However, later on Ansedisio reoccupied it also removing the presence of Sofia di Colfosco. In the 13th century the castle was looked after by the family de Castelli, but after 1283 there was no more record of it. The well hollowed out archeological works of the Padova University in 1991-1992, have completely brought to light the remaining parts of the most elevated part of the fortress constituted by a quadrangular masonry wall and an internal tower.